Monday, August 20, 2018

Goodbye My Dear Friends and F&F - The End of an Era


I don't know how long this post will be, if I will be able to go in depth the way I 'd like to because to be honest I just don't know if I can handle this much heavy emotion. Or to be honest if I even want to. But I feel the need to pay some form of respect for the huge loss that is a massive shock wave in New Orleans.


F&F Botanica has been a part of more people's lives in the New Orleans community and far beyond for over 30 years than one can even imagine. An unassuming little shop that was an absolute gem in the middle of the Treme' at 801 Broad St. F&F had pretty much every and anything a spiritual practitioner could need.  They sold tarot cards, soaps, booklets/books, cascarilla, sprays, floor washes, baths, countless oils, chromolithigraphs, rosary beads, prayer cards, saint images, herbs, incense, and more that I'm sure I'm just not able to call to mind right now. My friend Michaelle always says, "if that place doesn't have it either they don't make it or you don't need it!" But their primary product was candles. Candles and more candles. 7 day candles for almost any Saint imaginable, Orishas, Lwa, and any other purpose one could need them for. People from all walks of life came into this shop. Black, white, Native, Latin, old, young, Catholic, Voodoo, hoodoo, witches, followers of Santisima Muerta, Espiritismo, Palo, Vodou and lay people in need of spiritual help. A favorite memory of a friend of mine is when she first moved to town and went there. She saw about six cops going in, she thought it was a raid. She was floored when she saw them come out with boxes and boxes of candles. From cops, to lawyers, to judges, doctors, nurses, bartenders, card readers, burlesque dancers, business owners, gas station attendants, city employees, tattoo artists, tour guides, checkout clerks, musicians, teachers, students... this wonderful shop was a place of spiritual refuge and assistance to every walk of life.


 Though there was a previous owner, since I've been going there it was run by Felix Figueroa, Mr. Felix. A very kind older gentleman who greeted every customer with a beautiful smile and quite often a bit of wisdom.  There was also the sweetheart, Ms. Rose. How many times did she offer me assistance, a warm smile and encouragement when I was going through my roughest times in life over the past few years. And of course Mr. Felix's son-in-law, Johnathan. He was so knowledgeable on so many subjects and was always willing to share that knowledge with anyone in need. Speaking in past tense right now is making my stomach sick.


In the past 6 weeks all three of them have passed away. We've not only lost a place of that serviced the spiritual needs of so many many people, but three shining lights who made our community a brighter place. I personally went to F&F at least once a week. My heart is so heavy but to be honest I'm glad I'm not in New Orleans right now because the city is in mourning. A friend described it as a shroud being placed over the city with grief that is palpable. I remember the last time I saw them, it was  2 weeks before I left for the UK, the day before I went to L.A. I purchased a candle that was beautiful and of great assistance. There are so many things I wanted to buy and had every intention to do so. Who'd have ever thought F&F wouldn't be around, that those three wonderful souls would all be gone so soon.

How many times did I park my car on the corner of Broad at St. Ann. I will treasure the items I have from there. They will now have special meaning to me. I pray for the surviving family members of the family, particularly Tanya, Johnathan's lovely wife. I cannot imagine her grief at this time after this level of loss. I hope that in some small way, knowing that so many are sending her peace and love will bring even a minimal level of comfort. Below are some of the beautiful things I had from F&F. May all three of you rest in sweet peace my dear friends. I appreciate every single kind thought, word and bit of guidance you gave me. You have all left a void that can never be filled.











No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...