Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Covfefe On The Go - Making Coffee in the UK and the Queen of Cups

I love coffee. And being a Creole woman from New Orleans, I specifically love chicory coffee. I love to meet up with friends and enjoy conversation and meaningful time together over a cup of it, be it steaming hot or iced cold depending upon the degree of oppressive subtropic heat of Louisiana. My friends Nikki and Charlotte call it "meeting for covfefe because that stupid Tweet will never not be funny.

When I came to visit the UK a few years ago I learned the very hard way that the though the Brits have many fine and enjoyable points, their appreciation or dare I even say skill much less respect when it comes to creating a delightfully enjoyable warm beverage is exclusively reserved for tea and by no means extends itself to coffee. Their idea of coffee is what anyone else I know would consider substandard at best. I have often called it swill or even liquid sewage. I've seen establishments that will brew a pot of coffee which in itself could be considered a treat because most places do instant coffee! Something I honestly had no idea still existed until spending an extended period of time over here.)But I've seen them brew a pot of (weak) coffee and let it remain on the heating element the *entire* day! Meaning from 10AM until 8 in the evening and serve it to people who actually pay money for and consume it without complaint let alone disgust.

Suffice it to say that I learned to bring my own coffee and to make sure I also had something in which to make said coffee because back to that whole instant thing, many people don't have a coffee maker in their home ?!?!?? (Barbaric I tell ya...) Last month I recalled from my flight attendant days a pilot who would bring his own single use coffee filter that would sit on his cup and funnel the hot water over the coffee grounds. So I went on Amazon and ordered something similar for myself. It's the E-Prance (yes that is the actual name of it) coffee dripper. It's proven to be wonderful tool to make a nice cup of covfefe.


Here are a few specifics:
  • Simple design that comes with 3 items - basket, holder, and brush for cleaning
  • Stainless steel
  • Reusable
  • Very fine woven mesh means it filters well but with no clogging
  • Filters very quickly
  • No need for paper filters
  • Makes 1-4 cups/800 mls
  • Sits nicely inside of cups of carafes
  • Sturdy tri-pod base to rest it in when not in use
  • Silicone grip that is heat-proof 
  • Cleans thoroughly and easily
  • Pretty honeycomb design 

To be honest, my ideal cup of coffee made at home is when I brew it in a old school percolator like my good grandma Margaret used to do (yes, I had a bad one). That is pure perfection for me! But nevertheless I am very pleased with this contraption. It's super simple to use. You place it on top of your cup, add your desired amount of coffee, pour boiling water over it and viola, done. I let it sit in the cup for about 5 min because I like pretty strong coffee. Then I add my cream and enjoy. 




I personally find beverages taste best when enjoyed in a special cup that is personal to the individual. For me that often involves a mermaid or a kitty. There's something emotionally fulfilling to hold a special cup in your hands filled with a warm beverage. It not only can chase away the chill of the air, but also should there be an chill in your heart or unease in your soul. This is one of my favorite cups to use when I am in Exeter. 

So what more fitting card that the Queen of Cups to go along with this post. Here we have a serene scene along the coast which is actually identical to the Cornish coast where I adore spending time. The high cliffs covered in emerald fields that drop off to the beautiful blue sea below looks so much like a place called Polstreath. Along the shore is a cushion of the same colour with silver tassel fit for a the queen who sits upon it, protectively wrapped around the beautiful cut glass chalice which has gold embellishments that she gazes upon in deep thought. Most all white cats with blue eyes are very special in that they most often are deaf, 80% according to one study. I once knew a beautiful one named Misha. Though they cannot hear, that just means that their other sense area even more keen. I remember Misha being extremely sensitive to vibrations. For example she could feel footsteps of someone entering the room or when music was turned on, but also the slightest vibration of these things that we as humans might not have yet picked up on. In the tarot, the Queen of Cups/Chalices is water of water. She is very deep in her feels, very nurturing and highly intuitive. People may often consider these types to be overly sensitive and though that does come with its challenges at times, it is also is what makes them so wonderful. It reminds me of my Scorpio Mommy, an extremely complex and deep soul who was exceedingly loving and compassionate. She could make anyone feel loved and cared for. Her favorite colour was also blue and she loved to sit with a good book and a strong cup of chicory coffee in a special mug with her cat curled up at her feet.

If you travel, particularly to the UK, you may want to look into a single severe coffee maker like this one I found. One should always be able to enjoy a good cup of coffee!




*this post brought to you by the Queen of Cups from the Tarot of Pagan Cats, published by LoScarabeo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...